COMBAT SURVIVAL FORUM Forum Index

COMBAT SURVIVAL FORUM
C.K.M WEBSITE

WATCH CLIPSCLIPS   STORESTORE   CertificationCOURSES
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Level 2 Instructor course.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    COMBAT SURVIVAL FORUM Forum Index -> C.K.M FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushideshi
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: UK Level 2 Instructor course. Reply with quote

Day1 6.00am

It's still dark outside and ive been up since 5am getting myself ready for what could be the next 3 gruelling days of any martial arts training i have ever done. Im now at the course venue by 6.10am and there are a few guys already there. Everybody looks nervous and we're probably all thinking the same thoughts. What the hell are we doing here and why do we want to be here? We are all in our mid twenties to late thirties and some guys a little older.

By 6.20 Moni arrives and as he enters the room the first thing you notice about him is his size. He's a big guy and has the shape of a fit guy in his thirties,and not a grey hair in sight. The course begins with Moni introducing himself to each and every one of us with a friendly handshake. We then all gather together to fill out some forms and to sign our lives away on the Waiver-haha just kidding. We all have to write a short profile about ourselves. This will go on the ckm website should be be successful in passing the course. After this we all stand up and have 1 minute to introduce ourselves. Its interesting to listen to the others. Two of the guys are soldiers,one is in the Royal Air Force,one is a Police defensive tactics instructor then you have a banker a couple of office guys and a London Firefighter. The rest i dont know they never said.

By 6.30am were are all warming up and stretching and wondering what is going to happen next. Ok guys lets do some work Moni says. We start on defences on chokes etc. Moni talks about the concepts then demonstrates. We then start with the very basics as each technique is broken down. The first part is maintaining our balance. So far we all have it wrong as Moni points out. Now we have to drill this part until we get this right before we can move on. After all if we are going to be instructors then we must get it 100% correct. A couple of hours go by then we get a 5 minute drink break. We're sweating already and its only 8.30am. Its going to be a long day. We start training again and we drill and drill often changing partners in order to get used to training with guys of different sizes. We take notes down on the writing pad Moni supplies. We dont get a lot of time to do this as we have so much to do. My notes are so scruffy i can barely read them myself and the pages are covered in sweat. We are encouraged to ask questions and Moni wants us to ask as many as possible unlike many instructors i have met in the past.

Before moving onto new techniques we do surprise attacks on each other and also with our eyes shut. Its fantastic and it makes no difference if you have your eyes open or closed. The constant drills somehow allow you train your movements in a way that you can recognise them without having to see them if you know what i mean. We continue to do this until Moni is saticefied. Ok next is gun disarms. We learn the quick release and its uses etc. We then drill in every posistion ie to the front to the back and side. Its one technique but it works in any of the above scenarios. We drill again and swap partners and finally we then go on to surprise attacks this time incorporating the guns and the chokes we learned earlier that morning. This takes us up to midday where we break for lunch. We use this time to re hydrate with plenty of fluids a bite to eat and a change of t-shirt. Personal hygiene is a must and Moni expects it and rightly so.

The afternoon starts with more stuff for Level 1. We have Knife defences to get through aswell as punches, ground survival, weakness and pressure points. Again we drill and drill and each time we finish a subject we pressure test it and again incorporate the previous subjects. Now we have to deal with gun attacks Knives, chokes and punches aswell as all the verbal abuse. We also have to teach these techniques to each other to show we have understood the concepts etc. Its late in the afternoon now and were almost done for level 1. Now we have the break falls. These are very tiring especially as your up and down and rolling for ages getting these to a good standard. Finally we do more pressure testing and by 5.30pm weve covered level 1. Moni reminds us that we have had an easy day. He tells us to get a good nights sleep as day 2 will be even harder. Were all acheing already and feel both mentally and physically drained but feel like we have achieved so much. I still have to read through my notes if i can work out what i've written and write them out again neatly. After getting cleaned up and fed i get to bed early but i cant sleep as i have all these techniques whizzing through my mind. I also know that if i fall asleep early then tommorow will be here quicker. Oh well alarm is set for 5am again ready for a harder second day.

Day 2 in my next post. Wink
YMCA Fitness Trainer

commandokravmaga@aol.com
www.commandokravmaga-kent.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ushideshi
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: continued Reply with quote

Finally we do more pressure testing and by 5.30pm weve covered level 1. Moni reminds us that we have had an easy day. He tells us to get a good nights sleep as day 2 will be even harder. Were all acheing already and feel both mentally and physically drained and our knees and elbows sore from the ground work, but feel like we have achieved so much. I still have to read through my notes if i can work out what i've written and write them out again neatly. After getting cleaned up and fed i get to bed early but i cant sleep as i have all these techniques whizzing through my mind. I also know that if i fall asleep early then tommorow will be here quicker. Oh well alarm is set for 5am again ready for a harder second day. I feel sorry for one guy as he has to leave at 3.30am to get here on time.

Day 2 in my next post. Wink
YMCA Fitness Trainer

commandokravmaga@aol.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ushideshi
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: day 2 Reply with quote

Day2.

The alarm is going off at 5am. Is it really 5am im thinking? I must woken at least 4 times during the night. As i get out of bed my back is sore and as i look over to my room buddy he is looking like hes been run over by a bus. We start laughing like a couple of school girls. You have to laugh or how else will you make it!

After a shower and a smoothie and a couple of serial bars we meet another guy on the course in the hotel reception at 6.10 am. As i walk towards the venue i feel very tired and although im looking forward to the second day im dreading it also. We get to the venue and again a few of the guys are there. Everyone looks exhausted. Same thing we all warm up doing our own routine and await the arrival of Moni.

Moni is a very jolly guy and doesn't fail to remind us that today will be harder. Yesterday was nothing he says. After our warm up we get straight to work on all the techniques from level 1 revising everything. We do this for some time before moving onto level 2. There is a lot to cover on level 2 and the techniques are much more technical than level one. This is where it becomes mentally draining because you dont feel as fresh as the first day. Anyhow we go on learning new concepts. We drill over and over again swapping partners. We pressure test over and over again and we have to teach each other techniques again.

We have the odd 1 minute drink break here and there and most of that time is taken scribbling down notes. Eventually midday comes and Moni stops the class for lunch. By this time i have gone through 2 T-shirts. Ok guys have plenty to drink and not too much to eat. This afternoon is going to very hard he says!

Its now 1pm and ive changed into my third T-shirt. We are taken into the main hall of the leisure centre. Its a very big hall and there is nobody using it. We have this hall for one hour and Moni wants to get the full use of it. I know that we're in for a beasting!

Ok guys i want you to sprint to the end then come back and do it again 6 times Moni says. Whoever comes last has to be the defender whilst others come at him with guns, knives chokes, practiclly everything. After the first set of surprise attacks were well warmed up. Ok guys do it again he says. Now were getting tired and we perform full on surprise attacks for even longer about 3 mins but after being pre-exhausted from the sprints. This continues and it becomes even harder by now having to carry each other piggyback style across the hall 3 times followed by burpees knees to the chest then more surprise attacks but for 4 or 5 mins. Everyone is working hard now and its getting really tough. The lungs are working overtime and some of us are breathing through our backside and you are slipping on everyones sweat. Im only glad i trained hard prior to the course doing these exact exercises. If you havent trained you will suffer at this point in the course.

Eventually the hour session passes and the beasting is done. Were all very tired and Moni allows us a ten minute drink break. Ive had a good drink and ive changed my drenched T-shirt yet again. Moni praises us for our efforts and that's something he's not afraid to do. It makes you feel good when that happens and lifts peoples spirits again.

We continue the next 3.5 hours finishing level 2. By 5.30 we have coverd level 2 and we have the next day to go over both levels before the final testing.

Day3 next post Wink
YMCA Fitness Trainer

commandokravmaga@aol.com
Ushideshi
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: day 3 Reply with quote

Day3 5.00am

Im up and i didnt even need the alarm clock! The body clock has taken over. Im now aching all over. By this point you realy want to pass the course. Who would want to come back and do it all again?

Usual thing we meet in the Hotel reception and make our way to the venue for the last time. Now we are all comparing bumps and bruises. One guy looks like a cheetah with all his bruises. We warm up and stretch our sore muscles and all i can smell is the heat creams and sprays everyone is using to relieve some of their aches and pains.

When Moni arrives we have a disscussion about the testing and he reminds us that the failure rate is approx 35%. Moni explains fully how the testing will be conducted and he arranges an order of who goes when. He writes numbers down and then screws the small pieces of paper in his very large hands. You then have to pick a piece of paper. To my horror i had number one. Anyone want to swap? i asked. Sod going first. One guy was only to happy to go first. I was number 6 out of twelve so i was happy with that phew.

Ok guys lets get to work Moni says. Its open house as he said it. Pick a partner and go over everything for the next 2 hours. This was a great time to perform the techniques and talk through them as though you are teaching them. Well this what i decided to do anyway. As i went through the levels 1 and 2 Moni would walk around the room answering any questions and making any final corrections. It was a tough 2 hours practising everything and reading through our notes and going through the spiel for the teaching component for the test.

After the two hours we were allowed a drink break time to go to the toilet etc. The toilets were very busy at this point as you can well imagine haha. I must admit the guy that went into the toilet after me came out screwing his face up at me and said i wasn't well. That was funny! The testing was about to commence.

We layed the mats out from one end of the room to the other. This was for the break falls. First up was the guy that swapped with me. He had to sit in front of Moni and answer questions on the history of CKM and what not. After this he was asked to perform break falls both hard and soft frokm one end of the room to the the other. Moni would tell him to stop once he was saticefied his break falls were up to the standard required. By this point the lungs are working hard anyway. Next the guy was asked to pick any one of us to come at him with either punches kicks, guns, knives, grappling moves, chokes etc. This goes on until every technique is shown and again until the required standard is met. By this point the lungs are working fairly hard. All these techniques have to performed full out and the chosen attacker has to go for the attacks as though it was for real. After this comes the teaching component. Moni asks for a certain technique to be taught and the person being tested is given 2 minutes to look at his notes after which he has to take charge and teach the whole technique. Good teaching skills are needed here and it can be scary if you have never taught before. But you do get plenty of opportunities to do so throughout the course. This can go on from anything from 5 mins to 15 mins depending on which technique you get asked to teach.

The final part is the full on pressure testing for 6 minutes all out. You are given three attackers all different sizes to deal with. They come at you with all guns blazing and come at you like knife weilding maniacs. Everthing is thrown in. Big punches and kicks, vicious chokes and all the grappling stuff. It was amazing to see how each of us dealt with it. The verbal abuse was astonishing. Im so glad there weren't any Nuns in the next room. Anyone would think there was a mass bar brawl going on! I must admit that some of the things people were coming out with was very amusing. Even Moni was laughing. Ive never heard so many insults and disgusting language haha. But hey its all about reality isn't it.

By the end of this you are very tired and relieved. It took a long time to get through everyone and if you weren't being tested you would be getting thrown around and used as one of the attackers so there wasn't time for sitting around.

Thankfully by the end of day 3 most of us had passed the intensive course and the final tests to get the certification. It truly was an amazing experience and a real testing time throughout the whole course. Moni really does bring the best out of everybody and if you have prepared for the course then i would highly recommend it. Be warned though that you have to work hard on the course and not everybody gets a certificate. Moni is an amazing teacher and he possesses a lot of charisma and doesn't fail to have a sence of humour. I found him to be very approachable and willing to help in any way he possibly could. He even came and had a well deserved drink with us after.

I hope that those of you that wondered what the course entailed now have some idea of what its like. Go for it and enjoy it. Its great!

I am very proud to be part of the CKM community.

Until Level 3 Wink
YMCA Fitness Trainer

commandokravmaga@aol.com
Ushideshi
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: day 3 continued Reply with quote

It took a long time to get through everyone and if you weren't being tested you would be getting thrown around and used as one of the attackers so there wasn't time for sitting around.

Thankfully by the end of day 3 most of us had passed the intensive course and the final tests to get the certification. It truly was an amazing experience and a real testing time throughout the whole course. Moni really does bring the best out of everybody and if you have prepared for the course then i would highly recommend it. Be warned though that you have to work hard on the course and not everybody gets a certificate. Moni is an amazing teacher and he possesses a lot of charisma and doesn't fail to have a sence of humour either. I found him to be very approachable and willing to help in any way he possibly could. He even came and had a well deserved drink with us after.

I hope that those of you that wondered what the course entailed now have some idea of what its like. Go for it and enjoy it. Its great! The guys on the course were fantastic and we all bonded well. Cheers guys you all deserve to be very proud of yourselves. You earned it! Cool

I am very proud to be part of the CKM community.

Until Level 3 Wink Its tougher too! Confused
YMCA Fitness Trainer

commandokravmaga@aol.com
Moni
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: comngratulation to the new CKM instructors! Reply with quote

It was fun teaching you all!
My reward as an instructor is to see how much you improved!
Keep the CKM training to the highest level and I will
See you all in Level 3
Moni
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy guys, less than 12 hours to the beginning of the first instructors'course in Italy;I'm pretty excited even if the posts above are a little bit scary (but a nice challenge at the same time..) and I can't believe I'm going to meet Moni after months of articles, videos and pics; I hope to back soon with the resume of a personal beautiful experience and, of course.., with the instructor's diploma.
Anyway I wanna say a big thank to Mr.Calogero for his passion and for everything he did to make this course come true.
Greetings and see you soon on the web.
Ushideshi
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: course Reply with quote

Spartan,

Enjoy the course and good luck. Look forward to hear how you got on. Wink
YMCA Fitness Trainer

commandokravmaga@aol.com
Spartan
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaaaaah....ehi guys, welcome us in the family!!!!! Confused
Coming soon with our impressions and feelings, but just the time to say once again:Thanks Moni!
Ushideshi
Certified CKM Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: yeahhhhh Reply with quote

Yeahhhhh! Very Happy

Well done to you! And welcome to the CKM family Wink
YMCA Fitness Trainer

commandokravmaga@aol.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    COMBAT SURVIVAL FORUM Forum Index -> C.K.M FORUM All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: